Manager ADAS Market Truck and Japan Application Engineering Team
Directs the activities of a staff that includes hardware, software, technical project management, mechanical, algo, systems and testing engineers. Evaluates final results of design assuring accomplishment of technical objectives. Prepares and presents reports outlining the outcome of projects and makes recommendations for actions necessary to achieve desired results. Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function.
Responsible for all engineering activities (Technical Lead, Hardware, Software, Mechanical, Systems, Test, Algo) of the Business Unit ADAS in the region NA for the Market Truck and Market Japan Application Engineering teams. Directly reports to the Head of Application Engineering for Market Americas and functionally reports and aligns with the Head of Application Engineering Market Japan and Head of Application Engineering Market Truck to ensure that the market strategy is aligned and executed in North America. Manages and organizes resources to achieve project objectives for Market Japan and Market Truck in the region. Defines, plans, and implements technical knowledge and expertise of engineering staff, headcount and footprint strategy, systems and processes, strategic initiatives as well as the development of the engineering group in NA to meet the needs of Market Truck and Market Japan.
Central contact for all Application R&D activities for Market Japan and Market Truck in the NA region for customer centers, quality, and engineering leadership globally.
- Builds and Develops Engineering Team based on needs of the Market Japan and Market Truck Application engineering; ensuring the correct competence is available in the team when needed by the application projects, as aligned with Head of Application Engineering Market Japan (located in Japan) and Head of Application Engineering Market Truck (located in Germany).
- Monitors team progress on project commitments and milestones, coaches team members in daily activities, removes roadblocks the team faces and is single point of contact to Head of Application Engineering Truck and Head of Application Engineering Japan when there is an escalation that needs to be solved with the global team at a management level.
- Participate in customer discussions at all stages of development (acquisition, quote, production project execution, series support Maintenance) and find solutions to escalations brought by Market Truck and Market Japan customers located in this region. Build relationship with technical R&D contacts at the customer for Market Truck and Market Japan.
- Provide recommendations to the Head of Application Engineering Market Truck and Market Japan of what is needed in the region to have success for the Market in NA. Execute recommendations once aligned. These recommendations include but are not limited to hiring decisions, footprint strategy in the region, competency growth needed, customer needs in the region, team structure and project assignments for team members.
- Reviews and approves engineering effort estimates for new production product quotes and change requests where the work needs to be completed in the North America region for Market Truck or Market Japan.
- Monitors resource utilization monthly, ensure team is booking hours worked, approves project needs requests, assigns resources to projects and ensures budget exists in the projects for the NA team members. Aligns any over- or under-utilization/needs and gaps in budget with the Heads of Application Engineering Truck and Japan.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanics, Electrical, computer science or equivalent
- Minimum 7 years of engineering work experience
- Minimum 2 years leadership experience in 2 or more engineering disciplines (SW/Algo/HW/Systems/ME/Test/Technical Project management)
- At least 2-year experience working with multi-cultural team located in 2 or more countries
- At least 5 years’ experience developing automotive Tier 1 production products with one or more customers
- Experience as a hiring manager that has hired at least 6 engineers in more than 2 engineering domains.
- At least 1 year experience with direct customer interaction
- At least 2 years Safety product experience
- Experience with at least 1 production product developed through the entire Product life cycle
- Experience on at least 3 production project quotes to estimate R&D efforts and R&D project specific costs
- Planning and organizing abilities
- Self-driven and excellent communication skills
- Negotiation and Networking skills
- Fluent in English
- Strong customer communication skills
- Experience with embedded systems
- Knowledge of manufacturing process and tooling
- Knowledge of development equipment and laboratory equipment (oscilloscope, power supply, multimeter etc.)
- Ability to read and interpret technical specifications and test procedures
Relocation assistance is not available for this opening.
- Masters Degree in Engineering
- 10 years engineering work experience
- At least 1-year experience with Release Responsibility for engineering domain MLCs, Product MLCs or Gates
- Proficient with version control tools and method
- Knowledge in automotive product development cycles
- Knowledge of Automotive Safety Integrity Level (ASIL)
- Knowledge of CAN and/or Ethernet for automotive applications
- Must be willing to travel internationally (Mexico, USA, Japan and Europe)
This position is still in the hay grading process for a SG 12 level role.
EEO / AA / Disabled / Protected Veteran Employer. Continental offers equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to unlawful consideration to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. In addition, as a federal contractor, Continental complies with government regulations, including affirmative action responsibilities, where they apply. To be considered, you must apply for a specific position for which Continental has a current posted job opening. Qualifying applications will be considered only for the specific opening(s) to which you apply. If you would like to be considered for additional or future job openings, we encourage you to reapply for other opportunities as they become available. Further, Continental provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance in the application process, please reply to Careers@conti-na.com or contact US Recruiting at 248.393.5566. This telephone line and email address are reserved solely for job seekers with disabilities requesting accessibility assistance or an accommodation in the job application process. Please do not call about the status of your job application, if you do not require accessibility assistance or an accommodation. Messages left for other purposes, such as following up on an application or non-disability related technical issues, will not receive a call back.
Ready to drive with Continental? Take the first step and fill in the online application.
Continental develops pioneering technologies and services for sustainable and connected mobility of people and their goods. Founded in 1871, the technology company offers safe, efficient, intelligent and affordable solutions for vehicles, machines, traffic and transportation. In 2021, Continental generated sales of €33.8 billion and currently employs more than 190,000 people in 58 countries and markets. On October 8, 2021, the company celebrated its 150th anniversary. The Automotive group sector comprises technologies for passive safety, brake, chassis, motion and motion control systems. Innovative solutions for assisted and automated driving, display and operating technologies, as well as audio and camera solutions for the vehicle interior, are also part of the portfolio, as is intelligent information and communication technology for the mobility services of fleet operators and commercial vehicle manufacturers. Comprehensive activities relating to connectivity technologies, vehicle electronics and high-performance computers round off the range of products and services