Legal Assistant II - Patents
Continental Automotive is one of the largest automotive manufacturers in the world and a leader in automated driving. Through our pioneering technologies and services, we’re changing the future of mobility to make it more safe, smart and sustainable. Our Auburn Hills, MI, location is seeking a highly self-motivated and detail-oriented Legal Assistant for Patents to join our Group Law & Intellectual Property team. The ideal candidate has excellent communication skills, is dependable and accountable, and is able to prepare electronic information disclosure statements, assignments, and other declarations.
Are you ready to shape the future with us?
- Docketing electronic incoming mail/paper incoming documents from patent offices and patent law firms from the USA and abroad in the central email inbox of the IP department.
- Monitoring of the relevant deadlines and independent preparation of the IDS for the US patent grant procedure for the disclosure of state-of-the-art documents in parallel patent grant proceedings.
- USIPD Patent-prosecution Analytics Support professionals, by gathering information, KPIs, preparing and electronically filing with the U.S. Patent Office various types of documents related to the U.S. and maintaining patent files from initial disclosure through the issuance of a patent and payment of maintenance fees and tracking the IP department productivity goal achievements.
- Independent checking, recording, and processing of incoming mail, maintenance of official data in the patent administration system, and keeping the electronic file;
- Preparing and electronically Information Disclosure Statements (IDS), Assignments, and Declarations; Independent calculation of deadlines for processing/replying to official decisions in compliance with country-specific patent and legal regulations in Continental's docketing system (IPMS).
- Organizing payment information regarding patent‐application‐filing, and patent‐issuance awards and sending letters to inventors regarding patent‐filing and patent‐issuance awards regarding US inventors for Automotive, ContiTech, and Tires;
- Complete expense reporting for management personnel using Concur;
- Entering manual invoices in our billing software (Onit), reviewing invoices from law firms to determine whether they comply with applicable billing guidelines, and rejecting or reducing billing entries that do not comply with the guidelines. Setting up new vendors and creating and updating matters in the Intellectual Property;
- Recording and classifying state-of-the-art (patent and non-patent literature) found by the patent offices in the examination procedure and properly entering it into the IPMS (Intellectual Property Management System) of Continental in order to be able to prepare the Information Disclosure Statement ("IDS") or report to Outside Counsel;
- Preparing and providing IP statistics reporting and budget reports for Automotive ContiTech and Tire Group;
- Corresponding with foreign counsel in English and/or Spanish;
- Recording and processing of incoming invention disclosures.
- Coordinate arrangements for meetings, local events, conferences, and workshops.
WHY YOU SHOULD APPLY
- Immediate Benefits
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition & Employee Discounts
- Annual Bonus
- Employer 401(k) Match
- And more benefits that come with working for a global industry leader!
- High School Diploma
- 1 Year of Professional working experience
- Proficiency in MS: Teams, Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet software (Basic Excel functions, including SUM, AVERAGE, MIN, MAX, COUNT, XLOOKUP, SUMIF, COUNTIF and IF. Ability to use conditional formatting to automatically format cells. Knowledge of keyboard shortcuts to make work more efficient).
- Associate Degree
Knowledge of the processes of IP management.
- Basic knowledge of patent law.
- Fluent in Spanish or German.
Experienced in the below listed systems/software
- OniT Legal Electronic Matter Management and Billing System.
- SAP Enterprise resource planning ERP software.
- Unycom Intellectual Property Management System (IPMS) (Docketing System).
EEO / AA / Disabled / Protected Veteran Employer. Continental offers equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to unlawful consideration to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. In addition, as a federal contractor, Continental complies with government regulations, including affirmative action responsibilities, where they apply. To be considered, you must apply for a specific position for which Continental has a current posted job opening. Qualifying applications will be considered only for the specific opening(s) to which you apply. If you would like to be considered for additional or future job openings, we encourage you to reapply for other opportunities as they become available. Further, Continental provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance in the application process, please reply to Careers@conti-na.com or contact US Recruiting at 248.393.5566. This telephone line and email address are reserved solely for job seekers with disabilities requesting accessibility assistance or an accommodation in the job application process. Please do not call about the status of your job application, if you do not require accessibility assistance or an accommodation. Messages left for other purposes, such as following up on an application or non-disability related technical issues, will not receive a call back.
Ready to drive with Continental? Take the first step and fill in the online application.
In 2021, Continental generated sales of €33.8 billion and currently employs more than 190,000 people in 58 countries and markets. On October 8, 2021, the company celebrated its 150th anniversary. The Automotive group sector comprises technologies for passive safety, brake, chassis, motion and motion control systems. Innovative solutions for assisted and automated driving, display and operating technologies, as well as audio and camera solutions for the vehicle interior, are also part of the portfolio, as is intelligent information and communication technology for the mobility services of fleet operators and commercial vehicle manufacturers. Comprehensive activities relating to connectivity technologies, vehicle electronics and high-performance computers round off the range of products and services