Trade Compliance Manager
ContiTech, a division of Continental, is one of the world’s leading suppliers of technical elastomer products and is a specialist in plastics technology. ContiTech develops and produces functional parts, components, and systems for machine and plant engineering, mining, the automotive industry, and other important industries. Our Fairlawn, OH location is seeking a Trade Compliance Manager to join our team.
Are you ready to shape the future with us?
The Trade Compliance Manager will help drive our trade compliance efforts globally with focus on ContiTech’s North American operations.
The Manager will facilitate effective execution of compliant import and export activities and ensure all ContiTech Divisions are in full compliance with laws of the countries where they do business.
The Trade Compliance Manager will oversee a team of trade professionals to address and provide compliant solutions for complex trade issues in a manner that is consistent with ContiTech values.
This position will interface with U.S., Canada and Mexico customs officers, brokers, freight forwarders, external customers, and will partner with internal business groups on all matters pertaining to customs and trade-related import and export activities.
The Manager will provide strategic advice to the company on trade and regulatory activities; support the company’s growth from a global trade and regulatory compliance perspective and partner with Corporate Compliance and Global Logistics to foster compliance within global trade mitigating the company’s risk.
- Design, implement and manage a robust trade compliance program including the on-going development of compliance policies, standards, and processes
- Execute, as key global resource to all ContiTech locations providing expert knowledge, support, solutions, and resolution on import/export issues throughout North America
- Direct daily activity of the Trade Compliance Department
- Liaison with regulatory agencies i.e., U.S. Customs (CBP), Department of Commerce (DOC), International Trade Commission and, when appropriate, outside counsel
- Oversee the HTS classification process for regional (US, CA, MX) import activities and the application of proper GRI’s, rulings, and rationale to support HTS tariff assignments
- Identify and validate products which may be subject to ADD/CVD based on the Scope of the Orders and communicate with key stakeholders
- Manage Canada’s Customs Self-Assessment (CSA) program and support trade operations through the development and maintenance of Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA) compliance procedures
- Manage compliance activities for all cross-border Maquiladora operations
- Manage and execute yearly U. S. Customs Reconciliation program
- Manage SAP, ACE, and other trade software as applicable
- Oversee and determine applicability of Free Trade Programs (FTA), including but not limited to USMCA, AU-US, US-KR, etc.
- Prepare official responses to inquiries from regulatory agencies including but not limited to U.S Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), etc.
- Administer and maintain U.S Customs “Automated Commercial Environment (ACE) users for U.S. facilities through ACE administrator function
- Work cross-functionally, as needed, with internal departments on regulatory and compliance related issues
- Manage performance of brokers and freight forwarder through KPIs and periodic performance evaluations/reviews, with the end objective of driving improvements in performance and to minimize compliance related fines
- Design and implement an on-going training program on import/export awareness for Plant and Division personnel
WHY YOU SHOULD APPLY
- Immediate Benefits
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition & Employee Discounts
- Annual Bonus
- Employer 401(k) Match
- And more benefits that come with working for a global industry leader!
- Bachelor’s degree + minimum 7 years’ experience in international trade required
- Subject matter expertise in relevant areas of trade compliance (classification, valuation, export/import, country of origin, and regional trade agreements
- Customs Brokerage License is required
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Prior U.S. Customs experience a plus
- Extensive knowledge of U.S. import and export control laws and regulations as they relate to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and other applicable Government agencies
- Demonstrated ability to make independent judgments regarding the interpretation and application of U.S. import/export regulations
- Knowledge of International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) including anti-boycott regulations, sanctions administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), Customs Regulations (CR), and the Foreign Trade Regulations (FTR)
- Extensive understanding of applicable export, re-export and deemed licensing requirements.
- Thoroughly familiar with international shipping documents and INCOTERMS
- Ability to effectively interface with all levels of personnel within the organization to develop and deploy effective solutions across multiple functions
- Demonstrated history of managing broker, forwarder, and carrier relationships
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to set and accomplish strategic goals
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to guide, mentor and develop employees
- Attention to detail and strong verbal/written communication skills
EEO / AA / Disabled / Protected Veteran Employer. Continental offers equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to unlawful consideration to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. In addition, as a federal contractor, Continental complies with government regulations, including affirmative action responsibilities, where they apply. To be considered, you must apply for a specific position for which Continental has a current posted job opening. Qualifying applications will be considered only for the specific opening(s) to which you apply. If you would like to be considered for additional or future job openings, we encourage you to reapply for other opportunities as they become available. Further, Continental provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance in the application process, please reply to Careers@conti-na.com or contact US Recruiting at 248.393.5566. This telephone line and email address are reserved solely for job seekers with disabilities requesting accessibility assistance or an accommodation in the job application process. Please do not call about the status of your job application, if you do not require accessibility assistance or an accommodation. Messages left for other purposes, such as following up on an application or non-disability related technical issues, will not receive a call back.
Ready to drive with Continental? Take the first step and fill in the online application.
Continental develops pioneering technologies and services for sustainable and connected mobility of people and their goods. Founded in 1871, the technology company offers safe, efficient, intelligent and affordable solutions for vehicles, machines, traffic and transportation. In 2021, Continental generated sales of €33.8 billion and currently employs more than 190,000 people in 58 countries and markets. On October 8, 2021, the company celebrated its 150th anniversary. The Automotive group sector comprises technologies for passive safety, brake, chassis, motion and motion control systems. Innovative solutions for assisted and automated driving, display and operating technologies, as well as audio and camera solutions for the vehicle interior, are also part of the portfolio, as is intelligent information and communication technology for the mobility services of fleet operators and commercial vehicle manufacturers. Comprehensive activities relating to connectivity technologies, vehicle electronics and high-performance computers round off the range of products and services.